Unlimited 1 Adjustments

Your Responsibility After a Loss

24 Hour Emergency Support (855) U-1-ADJUST

As soon as a loss occurs, your work begins. Since proving your losses is your responsibility, it places a huge burden on you from the very beginning. Following the right succession of steps will ensure that the process goes smoothly and is accomplished in a timelier manner.

The first important step is to immediately notify your insurance company. Time is always of the essence so you want to get the process started as soon as possible. The claim number that the insurance company assigns will be used to follow your claim through the entire process.

Next, before you do anything else you want to hire a public adjuster. They are your representative through the entire process and won’t stop working until the job is done. The goal of a public adjuster is to get you the most money for your claim while keeping your wants and needs in check.

You will then need to assess the damage. If you come across items that are undamaged, they should be separated from the damaged ones and kept safe. If they become damaged due to not being adequately protected, this could be used against you at a later time.

Within 60 days of the loss date, you are required to file a “Sworn Statement in Proof of Loss” (P/L). This report details specific information and, due to policy and legal requirements, must be filled out accurately according to the laws of your state.

Throughout the claims process, you will be required to cooperate with the investigation by supplying any documentation that is deemed necessary. This can include everything from personal or business financial records to written or oral statements under oath. Everything must be backed up with as much documentation as possible.

Your rights include having proper representation, whether it is from an attorney, a public adjuster, etc. While both are fully capable of representing all of your needs, there are a few key differences. An attorney will charge a retainer and a subsequent hourly rate, which will become due at the conclusion of the claim, regardless of the outcome. A public adjuster, on the other hand, is only paid out of a mutual settlement. At United 1 Adjustments, if an agreement is not reached, you owe nothing for our services.

The important thing to remember is that proof of loss lies solely with the owner. That’s why it’s important that all documentation be clear and accurate. Since your claim may affect your taxes, it is important to be responsible when declaring losses. At Unlimited 1 Adjustments, our experienced public adjusters can handle your claim form start to finish. Give us the chance to be in your corner.

Unlimited 1 Adjustments, LLC. are licensed Public Adjusters in the states of New York, New Jersey & Connecticut. Unlimited handles both commercial and residential property damage insurance claims. Call U1A for a free claim review at (855) U-1-ADJUST, or simply request a quote using our claim form. All content is provided for informational purposes only.